If you are stressed or use excessive gadgets at night, you may end up having sleepless nights. But, it would be better if you were careful before it turns into insomnia.
Chronic insomnia (more than three months) could lead to other conditions like depression, anxiety, and raised blood pressure. So, it is essential to take precautions as soon as possible.
According to Ayurveda, it happens due to a decrease of Kapha dosha and aggravation of Vata dosha. This condition is termed “Anidra” in Ayurveda. With some Ayurvedic tips, one can manage it without popping any pills.
Follow the below-given 7 ways to get better sleep at night:
1. Foot massage
Feet massage relaxes the mind and relieves stress. Ultimately, it helps to sleep well.
Follow it every night before going to bed for a minimum of seven days.
How to massage your feet?
- Sit in a comfortable place.
- Apply warm Mahanarayana oil in your hands.
- Gently rub upwards and downwards in the sole and front of your foot.
- After rubbing feet entirely with oil, start massaging the area with some pressure.
- Apply adequate pressure on the upper part, heels, toes, and sides of the feet.
- Repeat this on both feet.
2. Warm water bath:
Bathing with warm water balances Vata dosha and relaxes the body. So, taking a bath at night can help you to fall asleep quickly.
The latest research says that core body temperature drops after a warm water bath (before sleep). This drop in temperature promotes sound sleep.
How to take a bath to induce sound sleep?
- Apply oil (Mahanarayan oil) all over the body.
- Take a shower or dip yourself in a hot water bathtub for 30 minutes.
- Listen to calming music along with your bath.
As a result, it will relax you and promote sound sleep at night.
You can practice this for a week or more until you get good results.
Read a happy and inspiring book before going to bed. Don’t read it on your iPad or phone. Reading through the screen puts more strain on the eyes.
5. Gadget free zone in the bedroom:
Overuse of a phone or gadget in the evening can ruin your sleep.
To induce sound sleep, make your room a gadget-free zone at least one hour before your sleeping time.
To make it easy, keep your room television free. Keep your phones, pads, laptops, and other gadgets out of your bedroom at night. It will make it easy for you to follow this rule.
6.Buffalo milk at night
As per Ayurveda, buffalo milk increases Kapha dosha and balances Vata dosha. Due to its properties, it promotes good sleep.
When to drink?
Drink one glass of warm buffalo milk:
a) Three hours after dinner
b) One hour before sleep timing at night